The Stover sixteen-inch softball team was formed in the 1990’s with the majority of the team made up of Coppola brothers and cousins. It also included cousins without the Coppola last name (Langeness and McMurray) and close friends. The Stover name came from a business owner by the name of Roger Stover.
In 2001, The Stover team included Chuck Coppola, Sr., Chuck Coppola, Jr., Cory Coppola, Chris Coppola, Joe Coppola Jr, Joe Coppola, III, Tony Coppola, LJ Coppola, Jim Langeness, Chad Langeness, Sean McMurray, Jay Polson, Mike McCune, Tim Walker, Kevin O’Hare, and John Spinner. In 2001, Stover placed 4th in Major National tournament in Schaumburg, Illinois. This was the start of eight – years in a row of placing high in the National Major tournaments.
Between 2002-2010 other players joined the team as players retired. These players were critical to Stovers’ success during their eight – year run. These players included Ben Happel, Mike Wood, Kyle Campbell, Marty Freese, Cary Coppola, Kyle Coppola, Chuck Coppola, III, Zach Coppola, Mike Kruse, Pat Kruse, Rob Nevitt, Troy Bluml, Curt McNabb, Luke Lewarne, Alex McMurray, Chris Wood, Chris Le Warne, and Blake Schultz
From 2001-2009 in the four Major tournaments held in Iowa, Stover won four State Major titles, five Bud Open Titles, three Marshalltown Clincher titles and four Urbandale Classic titles. It was rare if Stover wasn’t in the championship game of these Iowa tournaments during these years.
Stover was invited to play in the prestigious Forest Park No-Glove Nationals in the 2000’s. Some years Stover fared better than other years as the “no glove” game was new and challenging. However, they took fifth in 2003 and fourth in 2005. These finishes felt like championship games because Stover was able to play on Sunday in front of the best crowds and against the best teams. The Forest Park weekends were also some of the best of the summers because of the generosity and the welcoming attitude shown by the players, the tournament hosts and the awesome fans. Stover was honored and flattered to be a part of this great tournament and to be playing against the best softball players without wearing gloves.
Stover ASA Majors Accomplishments
- 2001: 4th at Schaumburg, Illinois All-American players: Jay Polson, Mike McCune, Tim Walker, Cory Coppola, Tony Coppola
- 2002: 2nd at South Bend, Indiana All-American players: Joe Coppola, III, Chuck Coppola, Jr., Sean McMurray, John Spinner, Mike McCune
- 2003: 2nd at Marshalltown, Iowa All-American players: Tim Walker, Jay Polson, Marty Freese, Joe Coppola, III
- 2004: 3rd at Chandler, Arizona Mike McCune, Jay Polson, Marty Freese, Joe Coppola, III, Tony Coppola
- 2005: 3rd at Mt/ Prospect, Illinois All-American players: Jay Polson, Mike Wood, Joe Coppola, III
- 2006: 5th at Mt. Prospect, Illinois All-American players: Joe Coppola, III, Tim Walker, Jay Polson, Chris Coppola
- 2007: 2nd at Marshalltown, Iowa All-American players: Joe Coppola, III,
Ben Happel, Chuck Coppola, Jr., Tony Coppola, Mike McCune
- 2008: 2nd at Crystal Lake, Illinois All-American players: Joe Coppola, III, Tony Coppola, Ben Happel, Mike McCune, Mike Kruse, Pat Kruse
- 2009: 13th at Marshalltown, Iowa All-American players: Ben Happel, Joe Coppola, III